Sunday, January 6, 2013

Lamon Bay: A Critique of Sir Ken's Photography





Meet Mr.Paul Kenjro Soliman

                                             



I had a shoot with Sir Ken before with an Autumn inspired theme. He went all the way from Cavite to Quezon City to discover other places to take his photographs. He's good at landscapes, sky views, and engagement/wedding photoshoots, I was actually hoping to get him to take my wedding pictures too... Someday :). When you get to meet Sir Ken you can easily tell that he's really a professional person. The results are well of course, amazing...  but what really impressed me is how he puts meaning to every photograph he makes and  by his blogs (that I'm a fan of), he was able to express his journey and passions in life. So I felt excited to be asked to critique his work from a subject's point of view. :)



Here are some of the pictures in his "I still wish for autumn" post










You can check his blogs, works and music here: 

LAMON BAY, GUMACA QUEZON PHILIPPINES









To be honest, I'm never good at taking photographs, all I ever do is to point at the subject then click three times hoping to get at least one acceptable. I really have no patience with all the stuffs to be adjusted in the camera to get the right mix of everything (So why am I doing this? haha!) but even though I'm no good at handling the camera, I focus on the meaning behind every image. For me, whats important is how the results affects the viewer's eyes even without the complete knowledge of how it is done. A good  photograph must catch the interest of everyone who's looking at it no matter who they are. It must make people feel something new and see the usual things in a different way. 

I can say that these set of photos made me want to go Lamon bay and for someone who's never got a chance to explore different places yet, these works somehow feed my soul. I was always comfortable of photographs with just high lighting. I'm afraid of dark lighting photos because I believe that its really hard to manage... but the lighting is perfect for the ambiance of the place, it was able to capture the sunset on the side to create a silhouette on the other. There's also a great mix of variety of lights that made it feel so realistic because of the layers. The first photo was almost like a painting for me. Well, there's nothing I can say about the place because it's given to be naturally beautiful, but the treatment of the work made it peaceful yet more dramatic. I also like the girls's choice of dress that compliments the theme of the place, although I didn't notice the features of her face that much, it looked like to me that she has a story to tell, and whatever it is, she already whispered it to the sea first. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment